Updated: Jun 7, 2021
Looking for a happy, easy to please houseplant that will give you an emerald thumb?
The most important thing is to put the right plant in the right place. No matter how much you love the look of that delicate shade loving fern, in a south window it won’t survive.
The hardiest houseplants are the ones that can adapt easily to their environments to give you the most success. Plants that can put up with a little neglect (like you may forget to water it occasionally.) Or that don’t mind dry air, let’s face it Canada is not the tropical rain forest. But you must NEVER let your plants stand in water for days. It’s a sure death sentence.
It’s always good to learn the scientific name of your plant. Your friends will think you’re a genius, or just one of those crazy plant people.
1. PHILODENDRON (Philodendron scandens): You all know it because your Grandmother had one sitting on her TV. Heart shaped leaves that grow on a vine. This plant can take whenever you throw at it. Don’t throw things in the house.
2. DRAGON TREE ( Dracaena marginata): Famous for being in the corner of the Doctors office. Likes bright light and dry feet, so make sure it has good drainage.
3. JADE PLANT ( Cassula ovata): Happy with direct sun and little water. The larger it gets the more beautiful it become. Very Zen.
4. CACTUS ( Cactaceae ): Very popular leases days. If you ignore your plants these babies are for you. They love to sunbathe.
5. PONTTAIL PALM ( Beaucarnea recurvata): Not really a palm. Don’t ask … some plant names are just wacky. It’s trunk like base holds water like a camel, so don’t be heavy handed with the water.
6. SNAKE PLANT ( Sanservieria ): Loves it anywhere, sun or partial shade. Prefers you to forget about it, but buy it a drink every now and again.
7. POTHOS ( Epipremnum aureum ): This easy trailer can climb the walls if you like to live in a jungle setting.
8. ZZ PLANT ( Zamioculcas zamifolia ): Fairly new on the plant seen. This guy is happy in solitude, and won’t mind if you like to holiday. No need to bug the neighbour to water it, we all know what happens when the neighbour waters your plants.
9. SPIDER PLANT ( Chlorophytum comosum ): Good old faithful. Cleans the air and like bright indirect light. Great for the beginner.
10. WANDERING JEW ( Zebrina pendula ): Low maintenance, grows quickly and like a hair cut to keep it full on top.
GET GROWING AND HAVE FUN.